Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Peculiar Kind of Lazy

I'll do anything to avoid shopping. Traffic, parking, shouldering through crowds under neon lights, standing in long check-out lines, dealing with surly clerks -- these things are my special hell.

Actually, for the particular item I needed, I just needed to drive a few miles along a pleasant country lane and pull into a small grocery store, where I can park right up front. There are never any lines or crowds, and the clerks are suspiciously cheerful and friendly. Plus, what I needed to buy costs about a dollar.

Still, I am that peculiar kind of lazy who would rather make something from scratch than go to the store and get it.

So when I noticed I was almost out of homemade laundry detergent, I was determined not to go to the store to replenish supplies. By supplies I mean the bar of basic soap to be grated and mixed with baking soda and borax. I just finished making a huge supply of homemade household soap for this specific purpose, but it'll be another week or so before that's cured. So I dug through every drawer in the house until I came upon a bar of hotel soap from a trip I made to Mexico with my sister several years ago. Very sad, I know, to hoard such an item, but there you have it, me in a nutshell.

It's heavily perfumed but mixed with the other ingredients, and then further mixed with the last of the previous batch of laundry soap, it should last until my homemade soap is cured. And I avoided a trip to the store.







No comments:

Post a Comment