Monday, May 25, 2009

Curing Onions for Storage

We had an unexpected rain storm today and so I ran out to the garden to gather these onions in a hurry before they got wet.  I have them drying on the back deck now, and I'll put them back in the sun tomorrow, where they'll cure for a few days more.

This is the first time I've grown enough onions to store so I'm not quite sure what will work.  My dad used to hang them in nets from rafter in our store room but I don't have a store room or rafters.  Just a small kitchen with vaulted ceilings, impossible to hang anything from.  I also have a garage that gets really hot in the summer -- approximately the temperature of the sun.  And a climate that stays humid most of the year.  Any ideas on how to best store these onions? 

No comments:

Post a Comment