Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Watermelons Make Me Weep

Watermelon is one of those sentimental fruits for me. My dad used to bring them home as Sunday treats. Mom cut them up just like my grandfather taught her -- a thick layer of newspaper on the kitchen table to absorb the juices, a huge knife, half-moon slices, heavy, heart-red, and sweet as summer.

Rumor has it that the best place to store them is under the bed and I have a vague memory that my San Antonio grandparents did exactly that. But I don't know, maybe I'm making that up. I do know Grandfather said thunder is the sound of the devil rolling watermelon under his bed.

I planted mine a little early this year, without realizing it, but so far, seem to have gotten away with it. You never know when nature will decide to be forgiving of a gardener's ignorance.

4 comments:

  1. Ahh...there is something about melon. My favorite is muskmelon, or cantloupe. My mom was a single parent, so she would buy just one, and we would have to share it. I like it so much I could eat a whole one. At one sitting. No problem. Did I say that???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! My husband and I consider a melon to be a meal for two! There are some mouthwatering stories about melon in A Year in Provence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!! :) I'm glad you stopped by and led me to your blog. I'll be back often to visit! I was just remembering beach vacations in France when I was growing up in Germany and how one of my favorite things was the little musk melons we take for a snack. I can still smell and taste them when I close my eyes... :) Silke

    ReplyDelete